Monday, May 26, 2008

Cemento

Early this morning I hopped in the truck with Marc and Kale to Mirador de Oriente to help with the women's center.

Today, we, that is all of us of the Tindalls' home, were to try to go a day only speaking Spanish which is going to be every Monday. Todo Lunas. It was especially funny because Kale and I started off the day on the upper level sweeping and shoveling up cement debri, and Marc made sure that all the hands knew that we were not supposed to speak English, so they were giving us a hard time. It was a lot of fun trying to figure out words with my pocket dictionary like finding shovel to ask for "pala".

Later, the rest of the team showed up with John. Feesh and I asked Louis and Milton if we could help which is, after much correction, I believe, "Te ayudo". Eventually we ended up cleaning up the building that the crew keeps supplies and stuff in. Louis speaks very good English, and he and Steve watched us pick up cement bags and laughed at us and gave us a hard time. But, though we're not all that buff yet, we will get fuerte(strong). It was great though getting to try to know Louis. We did speak some English to try to learn Spanish, but we did slip up some other than that. At one point, we were brought coffee that was stout and Steve was telling that straight black coffee grows hair on your chest after I'd already said how much I love black coffee. And that got a whole big laugh going that I have hair there, but I insist that I don't . Anyway, it was much fun getting to know Louis.

Before we headed out of Tegus, after we'd dropped off Milton and Louis, we made our daily stop to the grocery store. We got some dinner stuff and bologna and bread for the dump feed we are going to do tomorrow, Lord willing. As we were going out of the store two dear little girls in their school uniform were asking for money, which is a heartbreaking and common thing here in Honduras, and they helped Marc and I put loaves of bread in the back of the truck. Marc got a cell phone call so I was continuing to talk with the girl who was still with me and she said that I am alto(tall) and I said you are bajo(short) and she asked how old I am and I did my best to say 18, I had to use my hands to explain, and I asked how old she was and she was 10. Her name was Maria Fernando. Children, beautiful souls. We said goodbye and Mark gave the girls some Lempiras(Honduran currency) and I told the younger girl God bless you as we pulled off. It's hard to explain how the heart feels, but it does ache on behalf of those girls.

Anyway, my words fail me, I should go to bed and sleep. Let the people in your life impact you.

1 comment:

Joni said...

It is so great to read your blog page. It makes me feel like I was right there. Thanks for keeping us posted on what is going on. May God continue to Bless you and all that you touch in your sweet way!

Love, Joni